Monday, September 24, 2012

Lamp Makeover

I had several crafty things I wanted to do this weekend, but the mountains of laundry, clutter, toys, and dust put all but one on the back burner. I have a floor lamp in the corner of the living room that I gave a makeover to about 9 or so years ago. After looking at it for the past couple of years, and wondering what the heck I was thinking, I FINALLY gave it a face lift. 

It started out as a plain metal (silver) lamp with a plain white shade. The first makeover consisted of a paint job that was supposed to make it look like leather (we had a western theme going on in our living room at the time...other than that, I really can't explain why leather) and some beaded trim hot-glued to the bottom of the shade. Now, I really thought I had done something when I completed this little project. I mean, the paint job required me to paint on one color, then using a second color and a paper towel, splotch (for lack of a better word) on the second color, giving the delusion illusion of leather. At the time, I thought it looked pretty great, and the Hubs liked it too. Here is a pic of that first makeover (don't laugh to hard):

(I forgot to take a pic before I carried it outside)

I couldn't get a good close up of the "leather" finish, but here is one of the shade.


I found a new shade at Lowe's that coordinates with my rug and I love it! I have been looking for a while and found this several months ago. I have looked at it several times, and finally just bought it. I hate spending money on things like lamp shades (or rugs, curtains, throw pillows, wall art. etc). It wasn't expensive, only $20. I also picked up this spray paint. I waffled back and forth for a while on the paint aisle between this, a satin brown, and another that I think was brushed nickel (it was too dark- almost black). I finally went with this hammered brown and I LOVE it! I was afraid it would be too light, but it turned out perfect!


And now for the finished product.....


Much better, right?! Here are close-ups of the shade and the paint:



Hopefully I will get more projects crossed off my list soon. The ones I have in mind are a little more "crafty" in nature that just a can of spray paint and new lamp shade! Gonna have to break out the Mod Podge! Happy crafting!!













2 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy! Just found your blog through MLFC! I'm so not crafty, but love stalking people who are!

    I love this lamp - the shade is awesome!! I will definitely be coming back to check back in on your crafty adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww thanks!!! I love MLFC!! Everyone on there is amazing! Glad to have you here as well!

    ReplyDelete